Monday, November 4, 2013

To WOD or not to WOD...that was the question.

*****Warning*****  This post talks about being a girl...if you can't handle it...don't read this one.  Plus, you might get offended by my man flu reference.  :-)

This morning when I woke up, it was like back in High School.  I felt horrible...in that every 28 days sort of horrible.  Back in High School I would have gotten in my mom's bed and the conversation would have gone like this:

OhhhhhhnnnUrghhhhh....mooooooom.  I don't want to go to school today...I feel girl horrible (way worse than man flu btw) and I have PE today.  My loving wonderful mom would say something like, 'stop whining go to school'.   OOooooohhhhhhhhrrrrgggggg....but mooooooomm.  Then I would hug her and she would: :::sigh::: I will write you a gym pass.  Sweet.  Out of bed and on to school I went donning sweats and my bottle of Motrin praying for time to pass.

Fast forward a *few* many years and that was me this morning.  Minus my mom (deployed husband in parenthesis as he is here in spirit but spirit meant jack this morning) and adding 3 children, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 7 chickens and a job that needed me to get moving.  OHhhhhhhhurgghhhhhhh....and it was cold in my room.  So, I thought, I can do this but I don't think I can do Crossfit.  No way.  No how.  I am almost 40...I am writing my own frickin gym pass.  So, I plowed through my morning responsibilities.  Which, this particular morning, amounted to me commanding my children to do everything.  Then I looked on Facebook and saw this posted as the WOD (Work Out of the Day)



OH MY STARS. <grabs sports bra>  I thought...WOW.  <puts on appropriate socks>  That looks like a lot of fun.  <puts on comfy every 28 days gym pants>  For realz...I WANT to get my butt going and do that <yells at kiddo to get ready>.  The music will be awesome, cause our coach is a banging DJ too.  Plus, this WOD has things I am strong at and I know I can rock it and feel good.  <puts on shoes>  (For the record...I didn't see the burpee pull ups until I was actually there <gag>)  Just like that...I was out the door. 

I was right, it was fun.  I had a PR in the HBBS and got the 'next time use a bigger weight' encouragement from the Coach with the sled pull (90#) and KB swings (35#).  I walked away not thinking about how bad I felt (even though I still did) but how strong I felt.  Endorphins are great.  So are sled pulls by the way. 

Now, if only we had been doing CrossFit in High School PE.  Then I could have had tons of fun, enjoyed exercise and occasionally experienced performance anxiety (yes, girls have it too) while waiting in line for the rope in High School.  But, that is a blog post for another day.  That infernal rope mocks me from the corner and shall.be.mine.  One day beotch.  One day.

No comments:

Post a Comment